Parents & Supporters
A message – to Parents & Supporters
We are thrilled to be hosting the 61st Annual Canada-Wide Science Fair in Edmonton, Alberta.
As parents/guardians and supporters, we thought you might be interested in reading about some of the goals we have as an organizing team.
- To provide a safe and secure environment for all finalists:
- Each finalist will be required to wear a namebadge throughout the Fair, the back of the namebadges include emergency contact information as well as any relevant medical information (eg., allergies).
- The host site for the Fair is the Edmonton Convention Centre. All finalists and delegates will be staying in three host hotels. Each of these hotels will have dedicated volunteers and staff members in them to ensure a safe and CWSF community-like environment. Breakfast will be served daily at the hotels and the rest of the meals will be served primarily at the Edmonton Convention Centre, where participants are free to choose items that are safe for them. Please be sure to tell us about special dietary needs on the registration form and encourage your student to identify these needs to their Delegate(s) as well as food service staff at events if they have any questions.
- Please ensure that your child understands that the adults appointed by his/her regional science fair (known as the delegates) are acting on your behalf, and that your child must have any activity approved by that adult before proceeding. It is vital to your child’s safety and wellbeing that we have delegates fulfill this parental role at CWSF 2023. It is equally important that your child recognize the delegates’ authority as well as that of any authorized CWSF officials or appointed delegates, who are ensuring a safe environment for everyone’s sake.
- To provide the finalists with exciting new experiences and opportunities to create memories and friendships to last a lifetime:
- From our opening event to evening activities, a fully immersive day at the University of Alberta, the awards ceremony and closing event, we have planned lots of incredible experiences for your child. Please encourage them to be open to these experiences and make the most of this week!
Further CWSF 2023 details will be posted on this website in the months ahead, so simply review the content as May 2023 approaches. If you have any questions or require more information between now and then, please refer to the contact details. During the week of the fair, there will be a CWSF App featuring daily information to help you keep up with the activities.
We look forward to welcoming your young scientist to Edmonton and plan to make this event an amazing experience for everyone!
– Julia McDevitt, Fair Director & all of Team UV