Youth Science Canada’s Response to Alberta’s State of Emergency
As you may be aware, the Government of Alberta has declared a State of Emergency due to the ongoing wildfires in the region. We want to assure you that we are closely monitoring the situation and are in communication with Explore Edmonton and the Edmonton Convention Centre to ensure the safety and well-being of all participants. With regards to this, there are a few important things to note:
- At this time, Canada-Wide Science Fair is still scheduled to take place as planned. However, we understand that this is a rapidly evolving situation and may require changes to our plans. We are taking all necessary steps to ensure that we are prepared to respond to any developments that may arise.
- We have already made the decision to bring our main outdoor event, the Closing Event, indoors to ensure it is as enjoyable and safe as possible.
- The Expo Centre in Edmonton has been designated as an Evacuation Reception Centre. Please note this is not the same venue as Canada-Wide Science Fair, which is being held at the Edmonton Convention Centre.
- We are working with our travel partners to ensure that your flights and accommodations are not affected by the fires. We will update you as soon as possible if there are any changes or cancellations; however, at this time, we do not expect any changes to be necessary.
- Currently, the air quality index in Edmonton has not been significantly affected by the wildfires. However, we do advise participants with asthma or other respiratory conditions to come prepared with puffers or any other necessary medication. We encourage all participants to check the air quality index prior to travel and take appropriate precautions to ensure their health and safety.
As we continue to monitor the situation and provide updates as necessary, we appreciate your patience and understanding as we deal with this unforeseen situation and work to ensure the safety and well-being of all participants. We hope that you are looking forward to the fair as much as we are and that you will have a rewarding and memorable experience. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.