CWSF 2023 Ambassador Applications Now Open!
Youth Science Canada (YSC) is pleased to announce that the Ambassador Program will be returning for the 2023 Canada-Wide Science Fair, in Edmonton, Alberta.
We are now accepting applications.
Applications have now closed. Thank you so very much to all those who applied. We’ll be in touch shortly!
The CWSF Ambassadors are former CWSF Finalists, who have graduated from high school/CÉGEP, who will interact with finalists and delegates throughout the week in-person at the Canada-Wide Science Fair. Ambassadors have the opportunity to participate and help deliver Canada’s premiere youth science event. The CWSF Ambassadors are members of the YSC CWSF Host Team (TEAM UV) – the staff and volunteers responsible for the planning and successful implementation of a professional, high-impact annual event.
Roles & Responsibilities
The Ambassadors role & responsibilities during the week include:
- Participant interaction: You will be assigned a group of finalists for the duration of the week. We want CWSF Finalists to feel welcome and have the opportunity to meet other finalists from across the country and you will be a big part of this.
- You will participate in all activities and encourage your finalist group to do the same. You will also mentor and provide guidance to the finalists throughout the week as they navigate the event.
- Welcome/Greetings on arrival day, meet with finalists at various events/activities throughout the week, encourage finalists to network with each other and enjoy their week.
- Project Zone: Help with project set-up/take-down, assist the Exhibit Hall Coordinator, and support finalists during activity rotation. Engage with your finalists and their projects while in the project zone. View the other projects and provide overall event support in this space. Answer any questions finalists may have about the fair or the Project Zone.
- Finalist Support: Assist finalists throughout the week, particularly on judging day.
- Awards Ceremony: Assist with the Awards Ceremony and Farewell Festivities.
- Content Support: Leading up to CWSF 2023 we will be creating content to post on social media, we will be asking for your support in creating this content.
- Social Media: Become a member of the social media team and brainstorm content, interact with posts and encourage Finalists to engage during the week of the fair.
Applicants for the Ambassador positions must meet all the following requirements:
- Be a CWSF Alumni, having participated in either an in-person or a virtual Canada-Wide Science Fair in the past
- Be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Be between the ages of 19-25 (as of May 13th, 2023) and a high school graduate
- Be available for the entire week of the Canada-Wide Science Fair without conflicting commitments (Thursday, May 11 to Saturday, May 20,2023)
- Be responsible, motivated and outgoing
- Be flexible to attend bi-weekly meetings starting in February with the entire team. Please note: The Ambassador team members reside across the entire country so sometimes meetings for the East Coast are later in the evening and earlier in the evening on the West Coast. All meetings will be held on Microsoft Teams.
- Ability to speak French considered an asset
- Ability to speak other languages considered an asset
- First Aid training considered an asset
- Current criminal record check will be required (YSC will assist with this if selected)
Ambassadors will be screened based on their application. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for a follow-up interview in January. Those candidates will be contacted by e-mail to schedule a date and time for the interview.
All successful applicants will have their travel (within Canada) and CWSF registration costs (including accommodation and meals) covered.
The deadline for applications is Monday, January 9, 11:59 PM ET. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Feel free to send any questions or comments about the program or the selection procedure to:
Julia McDevitt, CWSF Fair Director