Welcome to Canada-Wide Science Fair 2017! This week the University of Regina will be hosting over 450 of the top young scientists from across the country. Finalists will compete for medals, prizes and scholarships while sharing their projects with judges, fellow finalists and the public. Beyond the formal science fair, the local host team and Youth Science Canada executive have planned a fantastic week filled with fun science and memorable moments.
Today the purple-clad local host team and youth ambassadors welcomed finalists and delegates from all corners of Canada at the Regina airport. As the regions arrived and settled in, a common sight on campus was students gathered together, eagerly searching for additional codes for the game in the CWSF app. On that note, if you haven’t already, download the CWSF app in order to take part in the explore game and gain points through interacting with other finalists, sponsors and social media throughout the week. The winner will be announced at the awards banquet on Friday. Good luck and get mingling!
So in preparation for the week, here’s a few tips to make the most out of your Canada-Wide Science Fair experience:
1. Make a new friend.
2. Meet a student from each of the provinces and territories.
3. Become friends with your youth ambassador.
4. Learn about a new area of science you’ve never heard about before.
5. Engage with us online and share your memories with #CWSF2017.
6. Trade pins and collect as many as possible.
7. Learn how to describe your project in French and English.
8. Explore Saskatchewan and take in the sights and sounds of the prairies.
9. Learn something new during the U R a scientist event on Thursday.
10. Start planning your science fair project for next year!
Today’s fun fact about Saskatchewan involves some great news for vegetarians…Saskatchewan produces approximately 80% of Canada’s lentil crop. And with Canada being the leading exporter of lentils, Saskatchewan is one of the largest regional producers of these hearty legumes in the whole world!
Don’t forget to invite your family and friends to like the Canada-Wide Science Fair Facebook page to keep up to date on all of our blog posts throughout the week. We will also be uploading photo albums each day to highlight all of the exciting things happening here at CWSF 2017! You can also follow us on Twitter @cwsf_ysc and Instagram @CWSF_ESPC. And if you’ve made it this far through the blog post, stay tuned because extra game codes for the app will be distribute in the blogs and on our social media accounts throughout the week!