Youth Science Canada (YSC) is pleased to announce that the Ambassador Program will be returning for the 2016 Canada-Wide Science Festival in Montreal, Quebec.
We are now accepting applications. Please see below for the details. If you qualify, we look forward to your application. Otherwise, share the information to potential applicants.
The CWSF Ambassadors are former CWSF finalists who have graduated from secondary school and who will interact with students and chaperones throughout the week. Ambassadors have the opportunity to participate and help deliver Canada's premiere youth science event.
The CWSF Ambassadors are members of the YSC CWSF Host Team (TEAM UV) – the staff and volunteers responsible for the planning and successful implementation of a professional, high-impact annual event.
A very limited number of positions are available. This year, Youth Science Canada will select a total of five applicants. We strongly encourage those from Quebec to apply, as 2 of the 5 applicants will be sponsored by the CWSF local host team.
The Ambassadors role & responsibilities during the week include:
- Participant interaction: Welcome/Greetings on arrival day, meet with finalists at various events/activities throughout the week, encourage finalists to network with each other and enjoy their week, etc.
- Exhibit Hall: assist with project set-up/take-down, lead finalists during public and VIP viewing, school tours, etc.
- Finalist Support: assist finalists in the exhibit hall and act as the Finalist Support Team on Judging day
- Awards Ceremony: Assist with the Awards Ceremony and Farewell Festivities
Ambassadors will be screened based on their application. Some shortlisted candidates will be contacted for a follow-up interview in February. Those candidates will be contacted by e-mail to inform them of the date and time to expect a call. Successful applicants will be notified by telephone by Monday, February 15, 2016.
All successful applicants will have their travel (within Canada) and CWSF registration costs (including accommodation and meals) covered by YSC.
Applicants for the ambassador positions must meet all the following requirements:
- Be a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident
- Be between the ages of 19-25 and a high school graduate
- Be available for the entire week of the Canada Wide Science Festival without conflicting commitments (Thursday, May 12, 2016 to Sunday, May 22, 2016)
- Be able to attend a 1-day training session in Montreal on Saturday, May 14, 2016
- Be responsible, motivated and outgoing
- Ability to speak French, Mandarin and/or Spanish an asset
- First Aid training is an asset
To apply, please complete the application at:
The deadline for applications is Monday, January 25, 2016, 11:59 PM EDT. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. All applicants will be notified about the decisions by Monday, February 15, 2016.
Feel free to send any questions or comments about the program or the selection procedure to:
- Ambassador Coordinator at cwsf.ambassadors (at) youthscience.ca
- Manager, Canada-Wide Science Fair at julia.clarke (at) youthscience.ca