Welcome to Canada-Wide Science Fair 2015! The beautiful University of New Brunswick campus in Fredericton will soon be home to 469 of Canada’s top young scientists as they compete for medals, prizes, scholarships and trips. The host committee, Youth Science Canada executive, ambassador team and volunteers have been working tirelessly to prepare for the exciting week ahead.
Today we welcomed over half of the delegations with our cheerful and purple-clad host team. Finalists and delegates then spent the afternoon touring the campus and checking out the local area as the sun tried to peak through the rain clouds. Tomorrow, the rest of the finalists will arrive and the exhibit hall will open for students to begin setting up their projects and getting ready for the judging that will take place on Tuesday. The forecast for tomorrow is again calling for rain and a high of 18 degrees so make sure to take advantage of any sun we get in order to check out the river and trails bordering campus (with your delegate, of course!)
In preparation for the week ahead, here’s a few tips to make the most of your Canada-Wide Science Fair experience:
- Make a new friend.
- Meet a student from each of the provinces and territories.
- Become friends with your ambassador.
- Meet an international student and learn some fun facts about their country.
- Get your exercise by exploring the hill on campus as you tour the University of New Brunswick.
- Learn about a new area of science.
- Visit a project from each of the Challenge categories.
- Engage with us online and share your memories with #CWSF
- Learn a phrase in a new language.
- Trade pins with another region.
- Download the CWSF app and explore its features.
- Visit a finalist lounge and play a card game.
- Try a new food from the New Brunswick region.
- See a speaker at the ‘On the Podium’ series.
- Check out cool and untraditional science at ‘Science at Work.’
Today’s fun fact about New Brunswick is that the French Fry capital of the world is located in Florenceville-Bristol!
Don’t forget to listen to CBC’s Information Morning Fredericton at 7:10am tomorrow morning to hear from our host committee and learn all about CWSF 2015.
On a final note, invite your family and friends to like our Facebook page to keep up to date on our blog posts and all of the exciting events happening this week. Safe travels and best of luck to each of the delegations as they continue arriving!